Friday, July 14, 2006

Windows Crap Cleaner

Many, many myriad utilities are advertised on the web purporting to fix your computer, make it faster, and clean up unused or problematic files. Most of these are crap - loaded with spyware, they will gladly download yet more spyware and ruin your computing experience.

Enter CCleaner, which my friend Sue showed me a few weeks ago, claiming that it was recommended on Microsoft's web site, and saying that it was a wonderful tool. I was skeptical, but it was worth a try!

I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it, and, much to my delight, it works as advertised, cleaning up unused and unnecessary files, cleaning out and even repairing the registry, and fixing all sorts of irritating problems, including addind an add/remove programs that works better than the Microsoft Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

No comments: