Sunday, August 16, 2009

Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Stupidity


I kept getting the error "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer," when I tried to apply SBS 2003 SP2. I stopped and started the cryptographic service. I read every Microsoft KB and followed every step. I ran DJ-Lizard's Dial-a-Fix - an excellent tool for repairing a variety of windows problems by automating the deletion of some pesky files as well as unregistering and reregistering some pesky DLL's - and still had no luck.

Reading Experts Exchange (well worth the subscription price) another individual had the same problem, ran through the same troubleshooting steps, and had no success until he realized that he hadn't applied SBS 2003 SP1. I checked my server, and sure enough, I hadn't applied SP1. The Stupid Server service packs aren't cumulative? Windows deskop OS SP's are, so I naturally assumed that server service packs would be, too.

No comments: